Swords | CD - A Swor'nament Decided

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://swordscomic.com/comic/CD/
3 Likes

Joyeuse said it perfectly, “What.”

6 Likes

An unexpected riposte to former Queen Joy

4 Likes

All hail King Tapir! May your reign be long and prosperous.

5 Likes

All hail King Tapir!

6 Likes

That’s so wholesome :smile:
But is that the end to rapier tapir’s quest?

4 Likes

Kinda ready to see Rapier Tapier lose the fact he always wins everything is a lil dull

4 Likes

Not the new king we wanted, but the new king we needed. All Hail King Tapir!

3 Likes

Imagine finding out you unknowingly bet your status as royalty. Poor Joy

EDIT: Not to mention loosing her brother and father in the same day (i think, time is convoluted)

5 Likes

True. Can we reflect on the fact that Joy has lost her brother and father to the Demon King, who is now the Demon god and is likely to now kill her friend (Harpe)? Yeesh.

Alas! The Bright Knight and the Night Knight had everything bet on Joyeuse!

5 Likes

I read all of swords comic the past two days up to this point. I keep mashing right arrow for more. and nothing is happening. I can’t be done yet! There has to be more!!!

4 Likes

Possible theory: after his terrible defeat against Rapier Tapir. Spencer the Fencer goes north to fury mountain and finds the demon sword of absolute fury still possessing the dire wolf, wanting power Spencer willingly lets himself get possessed. And heads back to Hiltshire for a rematch against King Tapir

1 Like

Next Swor’nament I’m betting on Rusty to win the throne!

I’ve read this comic a number of times before and I JUST realized what King Hilton was trying to do with this decree. Years ago he overheard Baltad saying “My true Champion will need a Kingdom to rule.” So what does King Hilton do? GTFO by awarding the crown to LITERALLY ANYONE ELSE. It would have gone swimmingly too if he hadn’t been murdered by the Demon King. At any rate he did manage to get his daughter Joyeuse out of Baltad’s crosshairs.

1 Like

Yeah, it makes you wonder what his post-monarchy plans were…

I don’t understand this. In order for the degree to work the way you’re saying, Rapier Tapir has to beat the king or queen. And if King Hilton hadn’t died in the middle of the swor’nament, Joy wouldn’t have been queen and Rapier Tapir wouldn’t have become king…?

I think that Sharp Sharpley was either reading into things or just simply saying things a bit differently from what’s on the paper.

Why? Suppose it did specify defeating the monarch in combat. We have three candidates for who wrote it: Joyeuse, the Demon King via Parry, or King Hilton. Joyeuse is clearly surprised in this comic, so she’s not the one. The Demon King and King Hilton couldn’t have written it because neither were in the Swor’nament, so it wouldn’t make sense unless they planned to die/abdicate. All options being unlikely, I conclude that the decree probably didn’t actually specifically require the monarch to be defeated.

tl;dr: it doesn’t make sense for the decree to specify the monarch.

But this is Swords, where absurdity is everywhere so I very well could be wrong.

I was just working off the fantasy trope that it’s specifically about defeating the monarch. But, given that this is a totally new kingdom and one of the characters we know definitely set up the decree, your argument makes more sense. Thanks!

1 Like

I mean, there’s also a big part of me that’s thinking I’m trying way too hard to reason logically about a strip where a freaking Tapir becomes a king. 🤷

1 Like

Oofie. Poor joy. I feel bad for her