Swords | DCCLXXXVII ~ The Quicksilver Triangle

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://swordscomic.com/comic/DCCLXXXVII/
1 Like

Wait, wouldn’t that be slower than usual?

2 Likes

No, time runs faster in the Triangle, so the adventurer goes in and spends a while training there, and when he leaves, only 3 days have passed in the outside world, where time is slower than the Triangle.

2 Likes

I’m with thayneironworks on this one. The monsters would definitely grow and evolve faster in the triangle, but 3 days in the triangle would pass faster in the triangle. If time runs twice as fast as usual in the triangle than outside then 3 days outside would be 1.5 days inside. It’s possible the “only gone for three days” remark was made by someone who was in the triangle during those three days of sped up outsider time but that wouldn’t really make much sense.

How was the triangle made?

1 Like

Actually, I rescind my statement.

Say there are two pirates. Pirate A stays home, while Pirate B enters the triangle. If the triangle has an exchange rate of 1:10 (every one day outside is ten days inside), then Pirate B can get in a month of training in just three days. Assuming that the Triangle’s border is a clean cutoff and not a gradient, if Pirate A looked into the Triangle and they could see Pirate B, it would look like Pirate B was moving ten times faster than normal, meaning that time runs faster in the Triangle. Similarly, if Pirate B looked across the border and saw Pirate A, they would look ten times slower than normal.

This is hypothetical, assumes that the Triangle doesn’t screw around with light, and has almost no scientific basis

1 Like

I think you’re confused. If time runs twice as fast in the Triangle, that means for every second that passes in the outside world, two seconds pass in the Triangle. In other words, twice as much time passes in the Triangle. If someone stood at the edge of the inside of the Triangle and looked at someone on the outside, the outsider would appear to be moving at half speed, because for every second that passed inside, only half a second passes outside.

If you’ve ever watched Dragon Ball Z, this is essentially the same as the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

1 Like

Time dilation is a very real thing, at least in the opposite manner (where time slows down for the target instead of speeding up). To get a noticeable effect, the target has to either move at near-light speed, or enter a massive gravity well. At the ultimate extremes, moving at light speed (currently believed to be impossible for physical objects) or entering a black hole will cause the victim to appear to be frozen in time to outside observers.

Now, time manipulation in mild, localized forms like the Quicksilver Triangle are just fantasies (at least with our current understanding of physics).

1 Like

Bro just explained Einsteins twin theory of relativity like wtf

2 Likes