Official Weekly Discussion 1: Ask me anything

Hi, it’s me, the one who makes the comic.

Ask me anything.

Some things are spoilers, so you’ll get a vague answer at best. As things should be.

7 Likes

If you could have any real life sword, which sword would you want to have?

5 Likes

Do you play many games (video, tabletop)? If so, what are some of your favorites?

4 Likes

I don’t own any swords, but I’d prefer to have one really nice movie replica one, like Sting.

4 Likes

I play a moderate amount of video games - ones like Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne and Spelunky are the kind I’m most in to. Recently I’ve been playing Pokemon Sword and the only game I plan to buy this year (right now) is the Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

I’m currently playing DnD with some work friends. I used to play Warhammer a long time ago.

5 Likes

Who’s your favorite character in swords? Who’s your favoeite to draw?

4 Likes

Kris the Necromancer, Sickle and Harpe are my favorite characters to draw, for sure. I prefer telling the stories of upbeat characters.

4 Likes

What were your inspiration(s) to make SWORDS?

3 Likes

If you were to pick one of the characters from the comic to be a Pokemon trainer, what would be their team?

5 Likes

Swords draws from a lot of places - there are more obvious parodies like Lord of the Rings, Berserk, Final Fantasy, Scott Pilgrim, The Good Place, Game of Thrones, Warhammer… to name a few; then there are some more obscure things like memes and current events. The Great Sage of the Heavens comic happened on the died Stephen Hawking died as a little nod, stuff like that.
My favorite webcomics are ones like Nedroid and Oglaf - I’ve been told many times the influence is apparent.

As for why I chose Swords, it just so happened that Swords #1 was well received, I hadn’t really considered ahead of time how many fantasy tropes you can lampoon on the end of a sword.

3 Likes

Sickle:
Obstagoon, Klinklang, Honedge, Bisharp, Nidoking, Gothitelle

4 Likes

If someone made a hypothetical Swords video game, what genre would it be?

4 Likes

The dream is a game that looks like a turn based RPG but is actually a rhythm game. With stats!

5 Likes

I play a lot of dungeons and dragons and Swords has been a great inspiration for magic items (especially cursed magic items) do you ever plan to upload a comprehensive list of maybe not all the swords in the comic because that’s crazy but of some of your favourite swords that you think would make great magical items to include in a dnd campaign?

4 Likes

The Archive is supposed to have all of them - https://swordscomic.com/archive/Swords/ - but I’m sure there are still quite a few missing. I’d love to add stats for all of them when I have time.

5 Likes

thank you this is awesome

4 Likes

How do you balance your life between creating things like SWORDS and… everything else, I guess. I create a lot of stuff as well and want to find a good middle ground.

3 Likes

I guess it’s just a case of making sure the creative thing you’re doing is worth the time you put in - I only spend 1-2 hours on a page, if it were more, I don’t think I could commit to that. There are plenty of other projects I’ve shelved because the time outweighs the value. Maybe you need to go easier on yourself and break the task down in to smaller, more manageable pieces?

3 Likes

Can Half sword hybrids mate with pure races?

4 Likes

Yes. There may be 1/4 or 1/8th sword beings out there.

A human and an orc can only procreate if they’re both partially sword.

3 Likes